21 May 2017

Printer Friendly Shrinking Paper - Diy keychain



My first attempt using the printer friendly shrinking paper to made a keychain.

Using my own drawing of recent Hokkaido piece, printed it using LaserJet printer (ahem asked friend for favor cos my printer is bit lousy).

Maybe the paper I used was a transparent type, bit surprised with the result - super light.



My optimum size for a keychain is 6-7cm. Cos after baking, it would shrinked by 60% at least.



After painfully cutting thru all. Lol

 

All done. They look lighter cos bear in mind, it's a transparent sheet. If you put them on a white paper, they look much define. 

 

On a baking tray, if u have a flat one, it is definitely a better choice compare to my uneven one.

Oven temperature ? Up to you, so long it get hot. I put 200.

Once it changed aka shrinking to a smaller one, off the oven immediately. If leave it too long, it will burn!  

 

See how much they have shrinked! 

 

Then quickly take if off and press it flat with any tool you can find. If you have a flat surface tray, I think you can skipped this step. Cos mine got bit crooked after leaving it to cool off on the tray.  


After baked. The bottom far right 2 charms had burned! 😖😖 my precious Teacup! 


I twisted my drawing to few different filters, that why some came out a bit dark. 

 

And final step, glaze! I actually doesn't mind the matte finishes. But they need a protection layer, if not they would easier get dirty. They are so prompt to dirt. Lol. 

 

After the 3 coats of glaze. The colours got more definite. But definitely don't look glossy la 🤔.

 

The back view! I like this side more. Lol.

 

The accessories to create a keychain. 



Viola! 

Sorry for the lousy photo. I never good at taking photo. 😅😅

Material 
  1. Printer friendly shrinking paper - Bought from www.malaysiaclayart.com
  2. Oven - any oven will do, but please don't use the same one for food making. 
  3. Keychain accessories - all bought cheaply from Taobao.com  
Tips
  1. Printer sheet - definitely use a good printer with high resolution. Unless your pattern is simple. Mine was complicated detailed drawing, that why lousy printer as my own only produced one big flat lump of colours. Lol. 
  2. Oven temperature - high temperature -> short baking time.
  3. ..however if it's too short, you won't achieve a transculent effect for the back surface. 
  4. Pressed flat while it is still hot.
  5. Glaze it for at least 3 coats to have a definite finishes.
Thanks for reading! And have fun trying! 

No comments: